From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Mark Crispin
Sent: terça-feira, 16 de Outubro de 2007 17:35
To: Cynergi
Cc: imap-uw@u.washington.edu
Subject: Re: [Imap-uw] Apparent bug in imap-2006k.DEV.SNAP-0710121414 (and
older?)

Thank you for your report.

This is not a bug.  The c-client library is designed to behave this way.

MIME types and encodings are, by definition in MIME, open-ended.  From time
to time, the IETF defines new MIME types.  It is desirable that c-client be
able to handle these without having to make a source code modification to
c-client.

To allow applications to support types and encodings that are unknown to
c-client, c-client will automatically add a (limited) number of unknown
types and encodings to its tables before resorting to TYPEOTHER and
ENCOTHER.  The names of these added types and encodings are available in the
body_types[] and body_encodings[] arrays.

Put another way, TYPEOTHER and ENCOTHER are only used if c-client is
overflowed with unknown types and/or encodings.

If the PHP developers had asked me about this, I would have explained this
to them.  Unfortunately, they have a habit of labelling unexpected behaviors
as "bugs" rather than seeking answers.  I have tried to post amended
information on the PHP bugzilla in the past, but was rewarded with a "you
are not authorized to do so" so I've given up.

Hence, a more correct behavior for PHP is not to use type code values, but
instead to use the body_types[type_code] string.

I hope that this information is helpful.

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Cynergi wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>
> I only want to make a bug report. I use PHP for development so I
> really won't be able to keep up with messages from this list. Please
> don't take offense if I unsubscribe in a few days after sending this
message.

> While developing a Webmail for www.cynergi.com, we started coming upon
> some
> (spam) messages with bad MIME types. However PHP (via your c-client
> library) reported a MIME type code of 9 instead of TYPEOTHER (8).
>
> Looking at your library I seem to have found the bug. From a comment
> in our source code:
>
>       Unknown MIME-types (such as "25-bit") are returned as int(9) due to
>       bug in c-client's rfc822.c "body_types" array that defines TYPEOTHER
>       as "X-UNKNOWN"; then when imap4r1.c goes to match a MIME-type and
>       can't match any of body_types' strings (including TYPEOTHER's), it
>       returns the next available integer (9).
>       This same bug also seems to apply to ENCOTHER.
>
> I am unaware if the body_types array is also used to CREATE
> MIME-types. If so, deleting "X-UNKNOWN" from there won't be the
> solution (the solution will then have to be fixing imap4r1.c's code).
>
> Thank you for your time, and for such a great open-source library!!
> :-)
>
> Pedro Freire
> Cynergi

-- Mark --