I believe I've narrowed down the problem further.

Alpine using IMAP does show the missing messages, just like Pine locally.

Horde IMP and Apple Mail correctly show the number of unread messages via a number beside the folder name, but when you click on the folder, the messages aren't there.

Mozilla Thunderbird behaves mostly the same way as Apple Mail and Horde, except for an error message that I assume the other clients are ignoring:
"Bogus sequence in UID FETCH: Syntax error in sequence."

Looking through the mailbox file revealed that the X-UID header for all the messages that do appear is under 1200000000 while the X-UID for all the messages that do not appear is over 3200000000. More to the point, the messages that do show up have UIDs below 2147483648.

How do UIDs get assigned? Why would UIDs suddenly jump from low numbers to high numbers? Are they supposed to fit into a signed integer? Should imapd be able to handle UIDs over 2^31? A few messages at the beginning of the folder have UIDs under 20000; why would they jump from 19837 to 1100176255? (I may have upgraded imapd in there somewhere.)

~ Andy