From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mark
Crispin
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:22 AM
To: David Morsberger
Cc: imap-uw@u.washington.edu
Subject: RE: [Imap-uw] IMAP Failure

The switch to a new message file only happens once in multi-copy.  All the
messages in the multi-copy end up in a single message file.  Either they
end up in the current one, or a switch takes place before any messages
are written.

mailutil uses a multi-copy, and thus mailboxes converted using mailutil
end up with gigantic data files.  This is generally not what you want.

Fortunately, there is an alternative.  The mixcvt program (available on
the UW FTP server) writes a mix mailbox file with its own mechanism that
will write multiple data files.  mixcvt runs outside of the framework of
the normal mix software and does its own thing.

A secondary use of mixcvt is that it can be used to "convert" existing mix
files to consolidate small data files (caused by expunging) into larger
ones.  I'm skeptical that this is ever really desirable, much less
necessary, but the capability is there.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, David Morsberger wrote:
> Can someone help me understand number 6 from
> http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/mixfmt.txt.html
>
> I am converting from mbx to mix so I was looking at using mailutil copy to
> create the mix file. The following sentences seem to conflict with each
> other. "A multi-message copy or append is written into its entirety to a
> single new message file.  In the case of multi-copy, the new message file
is
> switched when the sum of the sizes of all messages to be copied would
cause
> the current new message file to exceed MIXDATAROLL."
>
> If a multi-copy is written in entirety to a new file then what does the
> second sentence mean?
>
> What does "only the first message is considered" mean in the last
sentence?

> Is there way of converting a large mbx file into a set of smaller mix
files?
> Does even make sense to do this because all future messages with use the
> MIXDATAROLL value?
>
> 6. Message data file file roll out strategy
>
> The current new message file is finalized, and a new one started, when
> an append or copy is done that would cause the file to grow to larger
> than a preconfigured size (MIXDATAROLL).  A multi-message copy or
> append is written into its entirety to a single new message file.  In
> the case of multi-copy, the new message file is switched when the sum
> of the sizes of all messages to be copied would cause the current new
> message file to exceed MIXDATAROLL.  In the case of multi-append, only
> the first message is considered; this is due to technical limitations.

On
> Behalf Of Mark Crispin
> Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:22 AM
> To: David Morsberger
> Cc: imap-uw@u.washington.edu
> Subject: Re: [Imap-uw] IMAP Failure
>
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, David Morsberger wrote:
>> I am in the process of testing imap-2007. Is the preferred / recommended
>> build?
>
> Yes.  This is the current release version.  If you want to be
> adverturesome, try the imap-2007a development version.
>
>> What is the best way to change the mail location? Currently mail is
stored
>> in the ~/Library/Mail/IMAP directory on my Leopard server. This is where
>> Mailsever started saving it. I am looking at the "set mail-subdirectory
>> ~/Library/Mail/IMAP" command in the /etc/c-client.cf file.
>
> "set mail-subdirectory Library/Mail/IMAP" (no "~/" prefix).
>
> Better will be to edit imap-2007/src/osdep/unix to change the definition
> of the mailsubdir variable.  I recommend against using /etc/c-client.cf
>
> -- Mark --
>
> http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
> Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
> Si vis pacem, para bellum.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc