A couple of notes:

There is no reason to believe that a STATUS command in any way reflects what is going on with the selected mailbox stream, even if the mailboxes are the same. So, although interesting, the STATUS results are actually inconclusive.

Next:

My first hunch looking at the 2nd mail_ping; when the Exchange 'expunge'
notification comes in is that the order should be reversed. Of course
I'm no expert. What I mean is, if the "1 EXPUNGE" was processed first
and the "1 EXISTS" was processed second; I might not get into this
non-updating "MESSAGES" state.

This is, in fact, a known bug with some recent versions of Exchange. Supposedly, a hotfix and/or service pack fixes it.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.