Title: Untitled Document
Tom,

We actually build two versions of imap - the production version with a shared library with restrictbox and a also set of statically linked admin tools without restrictbox set. This allows us to perform admin functions such as the ones you are describing and at the same time, limits our customers access when they access our systems.

Mark Crispin wrote:
Tom -

You aren't missing anything.  restrictBox is implemented in a very paranoid fashion, and almost certainly can be relaxed safely.

In designing the distribution rules for restrictBox, I didn't go by "what is unsafe"; I went by "what might under some set of circumstances (that I don't necessarily even know about) be unsafe."  The whole idea being that I don't have to deal with some security alert because restrictBox failed to check for something.  Arguably, I should go further and prohibit "%" under restrictBox as well... ;-)

We don't use restrictBox here.