> Used to work until very recently. The user can no longer get email from
> her RIM Blackberry. Here is a trace of the failing session. I have no
> clue what the problem is. Any suggestions?
>
> 01:23:49 2 select INBOX
> 01:23:49 * 0 EXISTS
> 01:23:49 * 0 RECENT
> 01:23:49 * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1157559673] UID validity status
> 01:23:49 * OK [UIDNEXT 13029377] Predicted next UID
> 01:23:49 * FLAGS (Junk NonJunk $MDNSent \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft
> \Seen)
> 01:23:49 * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (Junk NonJunk $MDNSent \* \Answered \Flagged
> \Deleted \Draft \Seen)] Permanent flags
> 01:23:49 2 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed

There's the answer.

The mailbox is empty -- it has no messages.  It did, however find a mailbox
file, since it found user flags (Junk NonJunk $MDNSent) that are not there by
default.

So, imapd is working correctly.  Your task now is to find out why that mailbox
is empty.  Since you got a "Killed (lost mailbox lock)" condition that suggests
that the mailbox is in traditional UNIX mailbox format, and thus is either on
the spool directory (/var/spool/mail/$USER or variant thereof depending upon
your UNIX variant) or "mbox" in the user's home directory.