The right way is to use tmail and/or dmail for delivery.

I regret ever putting in code into mbx format that accounts for the spool
in STATUS.  My punishment for this ill-considered effort to be helpful was
bug reports from individuals who were upset that spool messages did
not show up in EXAMINE of a mix INBOX.  Snarfing is a write operation;
the whole point of EXAMINE is to be strictly read-only.

I learned the lesson and did not repeat that mistake in mix.

If you choose to copy the code from mbx into mix, it may "work" for you;
that is, until you get someone who complains about EXAMINE.  Oh, and
there's other issues having to do with UIDs; the mbx STATUS code makes
a guess since it does not (can not) actually know the real results when a
snarf does happen.

There is just no way to do snarfing in a perfectly transparent fashion.
Snarfing is best seen as a short-term interim measure for transition
prior to the deployment of tmail and/or dmail for delivery; and as such
is somewhat kludgy and clanky.

The good news is that dmail and tmail work quite well with traditional
UNIX mailbox files.  You have to build with CREATEPROTO=mixproto to
force the creation of mix-format INBOX; otherwise it will deliver to the
spool file for a user who does not have a mix-format INBOX (of course
it will deliver to the mix-format INBOX if it exists).

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc