> } > tmail      unix -       n       n       -       -       pipe
> } >      flags=DR eol=\r\n user=nobody argv=/usr/sbin/tmail ${user}
> }
> } You'll want the "u" flag also. I would also suggest getting rid of the
> } "D" and "R" flags and using "-f ${sender}" with the tmail argv instead.
>
> Ok. If I decide to go the tmail route, I will change that; but why
> {sender} and not {user}?

It's both. The complete argv would be "/usr/sbin/tmail -f ${sender} ${user}".

> } It is correct to use mailbox_transport and not mailbox_command for tmail
> } because AFAIK mailbox_command doesn't let you set the EOL correctly,
> } amongst other things.
>
> Yes, and in the postfix main.cf file, the comments for mailbox_transport
> also state that it has precedence over mailbox_command.

You may find the postconf(5) man page more useful than comments in the
default config file.

> } > The problem with the above setup is that procmail is cut out.
> }
> } You've asked postfix to pipe to tmail for local delivery; either an
> } alias or a .forward file will take precedence over mailbox_transport, so
> } if you want to configure use of procmail per-user then use one of these
> } mechanisms. If tmail is not correct for the "default" local delivery
> } mechanism, don't use the configuration you have.
>
> Well, all users will be using procmail,

Then why are you even considering tmail? It sounds like procmail is your
system's local delivery agent.

> which is why I am currently doing
> the dmail thing. It's been a long time [SunOS v4?] since I've used a
> .forward to invoke procmail, but from what you say above, it sounds like
> putting a .forward and piping to procmail would get around using tmail. If
> that is the case, why not just have dmail setup? Eg: Have postfix deliver
> to procmail, which uses dmail to save e.mails into mix format for the IMAP
> server? Since I am calling procmail anyway, isn't there less overheard by
> removing tmail from the picture?

Yes, but I assumed you had good reason to put it in the picture in the
first place.

Cheers,

        - Joel