On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:30:17 +1100
Joel Reicher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This may sound like a stupid question, but what makes ~/mail/.svn not a
> mailbox?

From an IMAP standpoint, nothing. In terms of my personal needs, what
makes it not a mailbox is the fact that while it does live in ~/mail,
it's a meta-directory that exists only for purposes of Subversion.

> If it's the leading "." character, and this principle applies to all other
> dotfiles, then the solution is to rebuild imap-uw with hideDotFiles set
> to "T" (true).

I'm making a note of this for the next time I rebuild things. For the
time being, I'm going to stick with the solution that Chris suggested.

> If it's the fact that you didn't say it was a mailbox, and you want the
> ability to anoint only some files in your ~/mail hierarchy as mailboxes,
> then you'll need a mail client that uses the IMAP subscription facility
> correctly.
>
> If it's neither of these, and you expect all files in ~/mail to be
> mailboxes, then it's svn's fault for putting something there that isn't a
> mailbox.

svn's not smart enough to know what's what (nor do I expect it to be); all
it knows is that I versioned a particular path, and it's going to drop
its meta-directories everywhere it can. If anything, it's my own fault
for not telling Subversion to ignore ~/mail. However, I'm happier having
the best of both worlds.

Thanks Joel!

Shaun