> Thanks Mark, Rodolfo. I see that Mozilla seems to be taking their time
> fixing this bug (2yrs?!?). Unless or until they fix it I guess we'll
> have to manually unsubscribe from folders immediately after initiating
> the process of deleting them (which does appear to work).

Mozilla (and Netscape before it) never had much of a clue about IMAP.  There is
no reason for any IMAP client to use the subscription mechanism at all unless
the IMAP server exports something like newsgroups.  A certain cretin (now long
departed) at Netscape 14 years ago didn't understand that, and inflicted
Netscape Messenger (easily the worst IMAP client ever written) upon the world.
The echoes of this idiocy persist to this day.  Microsoft copied the same
mistake in Outlook because that was how Messenger did it.

If there is any way to turn off the use of subscriptions in Thunderbird, do so.
 You don't need it, and it is just going to cause you problems.