> I read recently in one of the popular network books which read
> "Unlike POP3, IMAP can also accept outgoing e-mail for shipment to the
> destination as well as deliver incoming e-mail."
>
> Is this really true?

I think it's a slightly ambiguous statement. As you observe, IMAP can be
used to "upload" messages to the server, and while I've never heard of the
following being done it is theoretically possible for the server to
interpret an upload area (folder) as a drop-off point for messages which
are to be "shipped out" by SMTP.

If used in this way IMAP would resemble HTTP as used by webmail clients,
since the message is uploaded by HTTP to be shipped out by SMTP.

The big difference, however, is that webmail clients run on the
(web) *server*, and so that use of HTTP makes sense. IMAP, however, is
designed to be an email client back-end, and to do something equivalent
with it would require a special arrangement between client and server that
seems far from natural.

Cheers,

        - Joel