Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
Mark Crispin wrote:
The whole reason why a private Scandir is used is that, for the longest time, Solaris didn't have a scandir() call at all and when it did it was broken. I forget why. Maybe SUN finally figured out how

The fix (for my problem) is to use the system-supplied scandir() for current Solaris variants.

Thanks for the info!

Solaris 9 and earlier had scandir() in the SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions, and you had to compile with /usr/ucb/cc or link with the libucb libraries, which could caused other linking problems. The usual way to compile software that uses scandir() was to have a private scandir() function which is available with many programs.

Solaris 10 (since 2005) has scandir() in the Standard C Library Functions.

Solaris 9:

SunOS/BSD Compatibility Library Functions         scandir(3UCB)

NAME
     scandir, alphasort - scan a directory

SYNOPSIS
     /usr/ucb/cc [ flag... ] file...
     #include <sys/types.h>
     #include <sys/dir.h>

Solaris 10:

Standard C Library Functions                       scandir(3C)

NAME
     scandir, alphasort - scan a directory

SYNOPSIS
     #include <sys/types.h>