By the way, I was unable to find a reference to mixcvt in the documentation or code for imap-uw 2007e. I sure wish I had known about it before I tried someone else's conversion program.

But anway, the current situation is that I first converted all of my mail files (quite a few and some pushing 1.5GB). I used them for a week or so and noticed no problems. Then I converted nearly half our users. I started getting reports of what others have reported here, that on the order of half the messages get marked as unread that previously were read. In one case, I did the conversion, put the mix directory in my mail folders and confirmed it had 150 or so unread messages. A few days later the user complained it had 6000+ messages.

Needless to say, the users affected are rather unhappy with me. Email is their lifeblood.

I've seen various complaints about this problem mostly back in 2007 (which then led me to mixcvt). But I never saw what caused the problem.

Of course I have the original files (but it has been 2 weeks). I could do something rather ugly by re-converting the original files with mixcvt, then running a imap program that finds the differences with the current folder (deleting messages that have since been deleted, and copying over messages to the newly converted file that are new in the folder).

But I'm not sure that will be effective. The main issue is that I don't understand why this change in read status happens, and whether other things get screwed up too. I'm guessing something is happening from what I believe Mark has termed the self-repair of the mix format.

What gets me is that I can't understand what is wrong (if anything) with the mix formats that I created. They were created and appended by mailutil (2007e) from intermediate files. I can believe the intermediate files might have something wrong, but still I'd expect mailutil to create a consistent mix folder.

The other possibility is that imapd (2006c) is the cause of this. (As you may recall from an earlier note, when we tried to move up to 2007e, our system got swamped and so we backed down.) If this is it, then changing the files again won't help.

Can anyone clue me in?