On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Dan Lukes wrote:

On 17.7.2018 20:56, David B Funk wrote:
Not to mention, for years Mark Crispin adamantly opposed anything greater than 32 bit code (for portability sake). So there may still be dark corners of the UW/Panda IMAP code that will break on a 64 bit system.

According my experience, it's more stable om 64bit system. The "broken start of mailbox" issue I mentioned has been so common issue I has been asked to solve. With rise of 64B system it almost disappeared.

Just out of curiosity, any reason to stick with the "mbox" format?

There are others (EG: 1-file/message & MIX ) which don't have the size limitation and have distinct performance advantages.

I can' withstand to answer you using your own footer:

Classic "UNIX" format used by most of MTA. It's de-facto standard. It's simple and because its just text, it can be processed by simple tools available on every system. And it can be read even with no tool at all.

Just remember the issue I described - broken mailbox can be corrected by just text editor, or even automatically using sed.

For MBX I crafted own tool suitable to repair broken mailboxes. Even with such tool I prefer standard UNIX format whenever possible (I fully agree with you - standard is better).

For MIX no broken mailbox repair tool exists. I consider it unfinished work I'm not ready to finish by self - as a result, I can't use it for production deployment.

Finally, I hate 1-file/message format because large number of small messages received will overload underlying filesystem (i-nodes are limited resource) so I consider it so DoS prone.

Did I satisfied your curiosity ? ;-)

I've got MIX management/repair tools that Mark created in 2007:

/*
 * Program: mix index conversion utility
 *
 * Author:  Mark Crispin
 *      Networks and Distributed Computing
 *      Computing & Communications
 *      University of Washington
 *      Administration Building, AG-44
 *      Seattle, WA  98195