On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I need to find all valid UIDs on the server in order to synch the
> local header cache against the server.

OK, this is the correct reason.

Now, take it a step further.  If, instead of getting a list of valid UIDs
via UID SEARCH ALL, you get the UID/sequence map via FETCH 1:* UID, do you
see that you no longer need the UIDs except to in store your local cache?

There are a lot of things that you can do using both UIDs and sequence
numbers if you are imaginative.  Note, in particular, the very useful
property that UIDs are strictly ascending.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc

"A single glass of champagne imparts a feeling of exhiliaration.  The
nerves are braced; the imagination is agreeably strirred; the wits become
more nimble.  A bottle produces a contrary effect.  Excess causes a
comatose insensibility.  So it is with war; and the quality of both is
best discovered by sipping."  -- Winston Churchill