On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:27:24 +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> I meant that the mailbox can become empty during the time it takes to
> send the EXISTS to the client, and during that time window the client
> can issue a command with the * message number.  Not a likely scenario,

That is also impossible in IMAP.  Review sections 5.5 and 7.4.1.

> but telling the client it was violating the protocol does not seem
> like a good response.

It would be a bad thing if it could happen, but it can not.

If it were not for this property of IMAP, message sequence numbers would be
useless, instead of the incredibly useful things that they are.

If you write a UID-only client, without taking note of how message sequence
numbers interact with UIDs, then you miss a great deal of IMAP and will end up
with a client which will run less effectively than it might be.