On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Vladimir A. Butenko wrote:
>     , when acceptable authentication credentials have been
>     provided, after the CLOSE command, or after an error in selecting
>     a mailbox.

Thank you.  I have adopted this suggestion.

> -- note about the protocol (IMAP 5 suggestion?)---
> some applications based on IMAP must go back to the Authenticated State, but
> WITHOUT EXPUNGing, so they cannot use the CLOSE command. Currently, the
> SELECT command with a bogus name can be used for that. I'd recommend to add
> the simple UNSELECT command to the protocol (we had to add it to the
> CommuniGate Pro IMAP to support those applications).

My feelings on the matter are:

I sure hope that there is not an IMAP5!  I hope to see the completion of
IMAP within my lifetime...  :-)

Although SELECT with a bogus name is a hack that will workaround this
limitation in the IMAP protocol, it is not something that we should
document or recommend in any way.

An UNSELECT type command is outside of the scope of the base
specification.

However, an extension to IMAP to add UNSELECT type functionality *is*
within the scope of the IMAPEXT working group.  I recommend that you bring
it up there.  I will support a proposal for such an extension.  For what
it's worth, my preference is to add an argument to CLOSE that supresses
the expunge rather than adding Yet Another Command, but it's not a big
deal in either case.