From: Grant Baillie [mailto:gbaillie@;apple.com]
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 11:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mailbox names containing hierarchy separator

Sometimes, users will want to create mailboxes whose names contain the
hierarchy separator. A common case is to have dates in the name (say,
"Work - 11/02") when the server's separator is "/". They are, not
unnaturally, surprised at the results, since they expected to get a
single mailbox, not two levels of hierarchy. (Presumably, this isn't so
big deal for clients which present the output of LIST more or less
directly, but most clients don't do that because it doesn't scale very
well).

A couple of ideas for dealing with that I can think of are:

1) For "/", use a Unicode character like U+2215, which will display
approximately the way the user expects. I think there's a similar
unichar for "." and maybe even "\".

2) Modified UTF-7 encode the separator to get the mailbox name. I think
this is illegal according to Section 5.1.3 (Mailbox International
Naming Convention) of the spec, though.

Any comments/suggestions would be welcome

--Grant