Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:18:32 -0800 (PST)
   From: Mark Crispin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:14:54 -0500, Lawrence Greenfield wrote:
   >            Note: a server implementation MUST implement a
   >            configuration

   Although that weasel-wording helps previous source distributions
   (if you remember, I lobbied hard for it), it does not help binary
   distributions if the binary is not also configurable.

I'd call such a unconfigurable binary distribution extremely
user-unfriendly.

   I don't know about you, but I'd be uncomfortable with a binary
   which can be easily re-configured to be less secure...

If an attacker is in the position to reconfigure the security
parameters, the game is long over.

Larry