I'll also toss out that email messages with bare LF aren't mime content
either.

RFC822 requires that email messages be CRLF limited, cf Section 2.3
Body:

   The body of a message is simply lines of US-ASCII characters.  The
   only two limitations on the body are as follows:

   - CR and LF MUST only occur together as CRLF; they MUST NOT appear
     independently in the body.

   - Lines of characters in the body MUST be limited to 998 characters,
     and SHOULD be limited to 78 characters, excluding the CRLF.

   Note: As was stated earlier, there are other standards documents,
   specifically the MIME documents [RFC2045, RFC2046, RFC2048, RFC2049]
   that extend this standard to allow for different sorts of message
   bodies.  Again, these mechanisms are beyond the scope of this
   document.

Larry Osterman