On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:40:32 +0530, Padmanaban Kumar wrote:
> 2) "outside clients"--What I meant was ,if we have our own smtpd delivering
> mail to the mailstore, and our own imap client , written in compliance with
> Courier IMAP server, to retrieve the mails,there should'nt be any
> issues.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Do you want your client to be useful with other IMAP servers?  If your client
is strictly for internal use, that is one thing.  If your client depends upon
some misbehavior of Courier, it may have problems when it encounters a
compliant server.

> Also, is Courier IMAP low, even on performance, apart from the
> non-compliance,  when compared to the UW and CMU imapd's ? Maybe we need to
> upgrade to UW imapd.

UW imapd is the reference implementation of IMAP for UNIX systems.  Its
default mode is to support the traditional UNIX mailbox format in legacy
timeshared environments, and is the only server that supports such legacy
environments.  However, this is not a high-performance mode!  UW imapd can be
configured with other, high performance, mailbox formats if legacy support is
not important for you.

Cyrus does not support legacy environments, but is high performance.  Cyrus
has its own userspace environment, separate from the UNIX userspace.  Whether
this is a good thing or a bad thing depends upon your individual needs.  Like
UW, Cyrus is also a good implementation of IMAP.

In general, if UW is suitable for a site, then Cyrus is probably not suitable;
and if Cyrus is suitable for a site, then UW is probably not suitable.  So the
key to knowing which one is suitable for you depends upon understanding the
characteristics of each.

A good comparison between UW and Cyrus can be found in "Managing IMAP", by
Dianna Mullet & Kevin Mullet, published by O'Reilly, ISBN 0-596-00012-X.  This
will help you determine which one is best for your needs.