On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Russ Allbery wrote:
> D J Bernstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Actually, there's very little opposition (especially among implementors)
> > to requiring all MTAs, MUAs, etc. to handle UTF-8 messages. Eventually
> > we will all be using UTF-8; all relevant bugs must be fixed. Only the
> > wildest ``7 bits forever!'' proponents, such as Keith Moore, disagree.

I disagree, in the very strongest terms, with both this categorization of
the situation and with the personal attack.

> > Many of us (especially implementors) believe that these short-term 7-bit
> > kludges have huge costs (as illustrated by your message) and miniscule
> > benefits. We believe that the 7-bit kludges should be dropped.

The definition of "many" and "we" is extremely subjective, particularly as
it is a minority opinion.

> One additional option that I didn't mention would be to decide that the
> IETF standards process is out of touch with the reality of what
> implementors want

The people who advocate this option are those individuals who have not
been able to get their way.  I strongly suggest that you plug your ears
when you hear this siren song, lest you cause a disaster for yourself and
wreak havoc on others.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc