Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

--On Monday, August 11, 2003 1:33 PM -0400 Pete Maclean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Suppose that
the server works through the messages, decoding each appropriate MIME
part and sending it.  Then suppose it hits one message that has the
part encoded using a method that the server does not know about and
cannot decode.  The prescribed action is to send a NO response
containing UNKNOWN-CTE.  The problem lies in dealing with the
requirement that the FETCH (like any IMAP command) totally succeed or
totally fail.  What should a server do?

I would have the server return all the decodeable parts, and return a NO
[UNKNOWN-CTE]. From that the client should be able to figure out what's going
on and act appropriately.

In this case, should the server omit the BINARY response or can it return NIL for the undecodable part (in addition to the NO response)? I know that typically NIL is used when the client asks for a part which doesn't exist, but could it be used as a generic response meaning "i can't fetch this part"?

Similarly, what should the response be for BINARY.SIZE on a non-existent part? Do we omit the response and return a NO? Or do we succeed with a size of 0 (zero)?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127