Mark Crispin wrote:

> Hierarchies can be "hard" (such as UW imapd's export of the UNIX
> filesystem) or "soft" (such as Cyrus).
>
> A hard hierarchy is one in which each level is its own named object.  Such
> objects may be terminal and/or have other levels of hierachy.  Each
> non-terminal level contains its subordinate levels.  Thus, with
> office/secret and office/secret/top, there is an object called "office"
> that contains an object called "secret", and "secret" in turn contains an
> object called "top".
>
> A soft hierarchy is basically a non-hierarchical (flat) namespace in which
> a particular character is defined by convention to be the delimiter for
> "%" in LIST.  There is no relationship between office/secret and
> office/secret/top other than the first 13 octets being the same.  Since
> the namespace is basically flat, the terminal vs. other levels of
> hierarchy distinction has no meaning; office/secret does not actually
> "contain" office/secret/top in any way.

I'm not sure I buy this description of Cyrus.  Cyrus *is* hierarchical
and office/secret and office/secret/top *are* related -- the latter is a
child (directory) of the former.

Cyrus exports a filesystem tree just like UW (or INN for Usenet), but it
maintains its own database of what directories are actual mailboxes.
The presence of a directory doesn't necessarily mean that is a mailbox
or can't be used as a mailbox (just like 'comp' isn't a newsgroup).

This means that if office/secret/top is DELETEd, Cyrus won't care that
the office/secret directory still exists.  Apparently UW does care, and
this is why office/secret/ would have to be listed by LIST.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127