--- Rob Siemborski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > C1: a1 lock_the_selected_mailbox
> > S : a1 OK mailbox is yours
> [snip]
>
> C2, of course, wins in this case if it just gets and holds the mailbox
> lock first.  In fact, in this case C1 has *no* chance of ever deleting the
> message if it loses the first race.

Yes,  but it is a different situation. A lock in the protocol gives
explicit concurrency control.

Anyway, IMAP is not SQL :) and maybe explicit locking is not
a wise idea right now. IMHO,  for an IMAP server developer explicit
locking may be a fancy feature, but if I were an IMAP client
developer for small devices I would like to have an explicit
concurrency control.

Marcel