I having a break in some café, drinking wine, eating foie gras, and with
my friend, I was wondering why there was such as statement in the RFC :

6.3.10. Page 43 :

<<
the STATUS command SHOULD NOT be used on the currently selected mailbox.

I do not see why it exists since the following statement exists :

<<
           Because the STATUS command is not guaranteed to be fast
           in its results, clients SHOULD NOT expect to be able to
           issue many consecutive STATUS commands and obtain
           reasonable performance.

The server could do all its work before returning the proper response.

--
DINH V. Hoa,

etPan! - newsreader, mail user agent -- http://libetpan.sf.net/etpan