On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Richard Bang wrote:
> I'm getting flack from my mail server clients because IMAP marked as
> deleted and then expunges. Basically they don't want to have to manually
> copy all the messages to a trash can folder. They like the way their POP
> clients work, moving everything they delete into a deleted items folder
> (trash).

That's like saying, "I don't like this SMTP, because it's not X.400."

There is no such thing as "trash" in POP.  POP has the same delete/expunge
model as IMAP, only in a more primitive fashion.

Any "trash" in a POP client is done by the client on the local disk.
Nothing prevents an IMAP client from doing the same.

Any IMAP server that moves deleted messages to a mailbox called Trash
without the client's permission is broken.  Implement the protocol, not
what you think should be the protocol.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.