On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, David Harris wrote:
> Consider the following LIST
> response from an IMAP server, where the hierarchy delimiter is '/':
>    * LIST (\\Noselect) "/" "Public Folders/"
> How should the trailing hierarchy delimiter on the mailbox name be
> interpreted? Does it have a special meaning of some kind?

Consider the following:
     tag LIST "" "Public Folders/*"
     * LIST (\Noselect) "/" "Public Folders/"
     tag OK LIST done
vs.
     tag LIST "" "Public Folders/*"
     tag OK LIST done

In the former case, the client can infer that a directory (a hierarchical
name which contains inferiors but not messages) named "Public Folders"
exists with no inferiors.  The client knows what is going on.

In the latter case, we can't infer anything, since any of the following is
possible:
 . "Public Folders" does not exist
 . "Public Folders" exists, but is \NoInferiors
 . "Public Folders" exists as a directory but has no inferiors.
Thus the client must issue:
     tag LIST "" "Public Folders"
in order to resolve the matter.

-- Mark --