On 1/6/2004 5:20 PM, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I'm still not sure what you mean by "partitions" here.

Okay, semantics first. Servers have one (logical) mailstore. The mailstore
may contain one or more subordinate stores, which are essentially
partitions. Whereas you are saying that a server may have multiple stores,
I'm saying that those are partitions of a single (logical) mailstore. Just
as something like 'the' UNIX filesystem may consist of multiple
partitions, each of which are actually different filesystems but which are
logically represented consisted.

I want to be able to create a new partition from inside the protocol and
do other tasks against that partition which might normally be associated
with a specific folder (such as renaming it, or assigning default ACLs,
and so forth).

As an example of this, consider that I might want to create an archive
repository, so that I can move email from last year's clients into
near-line storage where its still accessible with a subscribe but its not
cluttering my active folders. Another example would be that a business
gets a new server, and wants to create a #policy partition that contains
folders for personnel, rebates, and all of the other business policies.