Rick Block writes:
And I think it's worth noting that many (perhaps most) people in Asia are not happy with Unicode (including UTF-8!) because of the "Han unification" effect. The basic problem is that Japanese, Chinese, and Korean all use a large number of the same "characters" and when mapping to Unicode these characters "lose" their language making it difficult to pick an appropriate font. Chinese characters CAN be displayed more or less intelligibly with a Japanese font (and vice versa), but to a Chinese person the result "looks" Japanese (and vice versa).

I've been told that when Japanese newspapers print a Chinese person's name, they use their regular Japanese font. Is that true?

Although "only a font problem", this is a problem interfering with the acceptance of Unicode (it's a cultural identity issue and, I think, will not be easily resolved).

Why don't these newspapers have the same acceptance issue?

Arnt