1.  no i cannot connect to the imap server from either side of the dmz.

2.  i meant that the imap, imaps, and pop3 were all enabled.

3. my hosts.allow and hosts.deny files have nothing in them.

4.  here is what my box is listening for:

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:993 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:99 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:995 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:143 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:80 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:23 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:443 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 138 192.168.1.102:23 69.143.104.198:49928 ESTABLISHED
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:998 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (servers and established)
Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 2586 /dev/gpmctl
unix 11 [ ] DGRAM 1995 /dev/log
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 2756 /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 6787
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 6771
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 2860
unix 2 [ ] DGRAM 2806