On Thu, 27 May 2004, Pete Maclean wrote:
One element seems wrong but I am not 100% certain. This server (which I cannot identify since it has not been identified to me) claims IMAP4Rev1 compliance by virtue of its initial response (* OK IMAP4rev1 Service Ready).

IMAP4rev1 compliance is indicated by "IMAP4REV1" appearing in the CAPABILITY list.

But when sent a SELECT command that succeeds, it does not return a UIDVALIDITY response.

Unless that server is IMAP2, it is broken.

Now RFC 3501 states that, "If [the UIDVALIDITY response] is missing, the server does not support unique identifiers."

Please read a few paragraphs higher in RFC 3501: Note that earlier versions of this protocol only required the FLAGS, EXISTS, and RECENT untagged data; consequently, client implementations SHOULD implement default behavior for missing data as discussed with the individual item.

In other words, if UIDVALIDITY is missing, the server is an IMAP2 server.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.