Hello,

Briefly: We run a custom webmail service which uses IMAP on the backend to connect to users' mail store. A new IMAP connection was being made for every corresponding HTTP request, and over time we found that this resulted in somewhat unpredictable response times due to continual re-connecting. Our solution was to implement connection pooling by  allowing an existing IMAP connection to be re-used by another user. We made this possible by creating a new command to allow an IMAP session to be de-authorized without disconnecting. We called the command DEAUTH. The consistency of our response times improved.

My question is, is there any interest in adding this sort of command/behaviour to IMAP for situations like the one described above?

Sean Jorden