On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
00000008 FETCH 1 BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS ("")]

IIRC, this is a bug in Pine 4.58 that we already found and fixed in Pine 4.61.

* 1 FETCH (BODY[HEADER.FIELDS ()] {2}

)
00000008 OK FETCH completed

This is definitely a server bug in Binc IMAP.

UW imapd had a similar bug introduced in imap-2004 (probably during the imap-2003 period); this was fixed in imap-2004a.

Also introduced in imap-2004 was the "From To" bug which Timo Sirainen found. This bug is not fixed in imap-2004a, but has just been fixed by me in the imap-2004b development sources.

A third bug, also introduced in imap-2004, was that a field-name with a "]" in it would not be quoted, that is, it would be sent by UW imapd as
BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (FOO]BAR)]

As you may have guessed by now, these are all the same bug. imap-2004 tries to send tokens as atoms instead of quoted strings, but it did not check for empty strings (first bug) or all the atom-specials (missed space which was the second bug, and "]" which as the third bug).

Thank you all very much for looking into this, and in particular for taking a bad answer as good when I made that brain-fade on the "From To" bug.

I will push out a new imap-2004b development tarball later today.

Thanks again, everybody!!

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.