On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Alexmipego <alexmip...@gmail.com> wrote:

> For the project I've in mind I really need
> to have as many imdbid values mapped as possible. During research, and
> checking the raw files myself, I found that many people ask for it but
> it's kinda impossible for imdbpy2sql to do better than it does at
> guessing ids.

More or less. :-)
The basic problem is that the imdbIDs are not distributed in
the plain text data files.

> My solution is based on the fact that searching imdb for the raw names
> (in the movies.list file) returns an exact match almost aways. That
> means, overtime, some applications will end up getting the true id of
> a movie but there is no way for imdbpy2sql/database to recover the
> original raw title.

I'm not sure to have understood your point.
What's the advantage of the MD5 sum, over the normal title?
I mean: if the title changes, also its MD5 will change and you will
not be able to find the imdbID.

> When changes in titles, new titles, etc... would occur it would simply
> fail gracefully and over time those new hash-imdbid codes could be
> made available.

Well, it may works and it's easy to implement, but it means that you
need a central repository for this hash table.
Since I (as IMDbPY) don't want to provide it, most of the users
will use none or create their own.
By the way it's not clear to me  when you want to ask the hash table
for an imdbID: when the imdbpy2sql.py script runs (but this will have
a heavy impact on performances, I fear) or when a single item (movie,
person, character or company) is requested.

> Let me know what you think. The changes to support a MD5 column are
> just 2-3 lines iirc and it shouldn't cause any problems to anyone, yet
> it would allow for this type of feature to be implemented even if
> outside the imdbpy code base

Yup - I see your point on this, and I'll take it on consideration.

--
Davide Alberani <d...@mimante.net>  [PGP KeyID: 0x465BFD47]
http://www.mimante.net/