>We're getting ready to _move_ one domain to its own iMail server.  It is
>getting quite a bit of mail so I would like to just spool the mail on
>the IMGate machine until we have mailboxes , junkmail files , DNS
>entries in place and anything else that needs to be moved/changed/munged.
>
>I seem to remember a similar discussion on the list before but didn't
>follow the details then.
>
>My plan is to change the transport.map file to hold mail for this domain
>   and modify master.cf using the information at
>         <http://www.postfix.org/rate.html#postponing>

>until everything is ready on the new machine.

another is to change transport.map for moving_domain.tld to the new IP
(which  isn't answering on port 25).  postfix holds the mail for
maximum_queue_lifetime, which needs to be longer than the downtime. whne
you bring up Imail for that domain on that IP, postfix will dump it all.

>I have two questions.
>
>    1. Is there a better way to hold the mail for this domain?

see above, if the conditions are met

>    2. If I use the above technique do I have to do anything special
>besides changing the transport.map file to get the "held" mail to be
>delivered?  The Postfix man pages leave me a little hazy on this.

man 5 header_checks:

    HOLD optional text...
               Arrange for the message to be placed  on  the  hold  queue,  and
               inspect  the next input line.  The message remains on hold until
               someone either deletes it or releases it for delivery.  Log  the
               optional text if specified, otherwise log a generic message.

               Mail  that is placed on hold can be examined with the postcat(1)
               command, and can be destroyed or released with the  postsuper(1)
               command.

               Note:  use  "postsuper -r" to release mail that was kept on hold
               for  a  significant  fraction  of   $maximal_queue_lifetime   or
               $bounce_queue_lifetime, or longer.

               Note: this action affects all recipients of the message.

Len