So.. since we get an empty drop-down and no field to list the users, is it fair to assume that our backend thinks it can list users, but isn't?

Yes, sounds like it.

Weird.  I've checked lib/Horde/Auth/cosign.php, and see...

    var $capabilities = array('add'           => false,
                              'update'        => false,
                              'resetpassword' => false,
                              'remove'        => false,
                              'list'          => false,
                              'transparent'   => true);

Any other suggestions as to why it might think it can list users?

We're running a modified version of the "auto" authenticator that sets the Horde user to the value of $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']. I should probably contribute it back, as I think it would be useful to other people.

Why don't you use the http authentication driver?

Because it checks PHP_AUTH_USER instead of $_SERVER['REMOTE_USER'], and our stuff doesn't set PHP_AUTH_USER. We also don't use an .htaccess file for authentication, or do anything that pretends to be basic auth.

Liam