Quoting Andrew Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

If I send myself a new message with the same exact images, but not in Appledouble wrappers, then it can display the message and the thumbnails correctly even with the PHP memory limit set to 100MB (our production setting).

Looking through the Appledouble viewer code in IMP, I'm guessing that there are simply too many copies of the same data being made, bloating the memory size.

Is this a known issue/bug?

Probably not (well, now it is). Michael S. has done a bunch of memory optimizations, but I would not be surprised if the appledouble code wasn't on the hit list.

-chuck