Quoting R Phillips <r.i.phill...@bath.ac.uk>:

I'm just forcing this in imp/lib/Quota/Ui.php

I'm not following you here.

So users can manage their mailboxes I modify the quota message to
include a HTML link eg:

95% of 1025 MB Review your largest emails:
<a target="_blank" href="https://www.example.com/mailcheck";>Mailbox size
checker</a>

This is fine, until it comes time to click the Refresh icon whereupon
this changes so the link gets printed out, along with the link text. So
we end up with something like this (although firebug isn't showing me
this until I click on the text in the source):

95% of 1025 MB Review your largest emails:
<a target="_blank" href="https://www.example.com/mailcheck";>Mailbox size
checker</a><a target="_blank"
href="https://www.example.com/mailcheck";>Mailbox size checker</a>

Happens in Chrome 31.0.xxx and Firefox 25.0 so I assume the javascript
that goes and fetches the message does something here.  A straight
browser refresh sets things back to normal.

It's probably not the best way to add this message by shoving it in
imp/lib/Quota/Ui.php but it's position with the quota message highlights
the users a tool they can use to manage their mail and request quota
increases.  Is there a better way to do this, or should I modify the
javascript?

You have to modify the javascript. The quota info is being updated via a setText() call in dimpbase.js - this will automatically escape any HTML code in the text. You probably want to switch this to update() - but be aware this means you have to guarantee the text sent to the browser has been properly HTML escaped to prevent XSS.

michael