Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubi...@horde.org>:

Quoting Robin Bankhead <ho...@headbank.co.uk>:

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slus...@horde.org>:

<snip>

I *really* think this is probably the issue though. My memory is that there were bugs in the past relating to PHP variable references that may cause this kind of behavior. And I would also classify PHP 5.3.1 as ancient ... it's over 5 years old. I personally would not want to be running 5 year old code that is potentially publicly accessible to the Internet, if just for security reasons.

michael

Personally I wouldn't either, but it's not, so I have the luxury of prioritising the stability of my codebase. Even so, I bet you'd find plenty of web hosts where 5.3 is still deployed - the need to guarantee *functional* continuity/stability is pretty big in that context too. I rather imagined that was why horde's INSTALL file specifies the requirement as 5.3.0 and up.

Actually, 5.3.0 refers to the PHP *API*, not to anything specific to the PHP internals such as bug fixes. It only means that our code utilizes functionality that may not be available until 5.3.0 and does not rely on anything that isn't documented as being available in the 5.3.0 API.
--
mike

I see. In that case I'll upgrade to the latest stable php-5.3.*, will that be satisfactory? As I mentioned above, upgrading beyond that will be a harder and longer proposition, and my users are whinging now :(

Also, given that I now have two messages that appear largely structurally equivalent but behave differently in this regard, I wonder if it might not actually be a JavaScript issue? Just a thought... the reply pages generate a few ReferenceError warnings (just uninitialised variables I think), but no full-on errors. When I get near some other browsers I'll test on them too to explore this.

Regards,
Robin Bankhead