Am 16.12.14 um 15:44 schrieb Michael M Slusarz:
I fail to see the advantage of displaying e-mail addresses, especially
when half the messages in my mailbox would show things like "Foo
<do_not_reply-md5h...@externalemailcontentprovider.server14.westcoast.meaninglessdomainname.com>".

You don't have to activate it, if there was an option. I would be happy to have it configurable. My main intention was to discuss meaningful default settings, but in this case, I just would like to propose the introduction of a setting for it. Can be deactived by default of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_(security)

So when I send you a mail message with a spoofed From e-mail address
from outside your domain, how is this any different?

It is very likely that such a message gets processed accordingly (rejected or filtered out as spam). You would have to choose a from address with a domain which doesn't have SPF and then most likely the missing good reputation would be critical for our spamfilter.

I don't think hiding the from address helps at all. The unaware users don't care and the skilled tend to be able to at least be able to activate it.

If you feel strongly about this, this is easily added locally by adding
the additional information to your local source.  But none of these
arguments even approaach a level where making this configurable makes
sense.

What exactly do you mean with local source? Patching my local horde source scripts myself to implement the desired functionality?

[3. Mail view]
Hmm, the MAILER-DAEMON messages (bounces) actually has the empty sender
address in most cases, so not sure what you like to verify in this case.

No, mailer daemons only have an empty envelope address. The From:
address is 'Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@host.domain>' and I
only see just 'Mail Delivery System' all the time.

Not seeing your point(?)

You justified that bounces have an empty sender address (<>), but I'm talking about the From: address as IMP doesn't show me the sender address anyway. And as explained the From: address consists of

Mail Delivery System <MAILER-DAEMON@host.domain>

which indeed lets me distinguish from which of my hosts the notification is originating. - At least if I could see the full From: including 'MAILER-DAEMON@host.domain' and not just the useless information 'Mail Delivery System'.

If you are asking to see e-mail addresses in the from address because it
provides information on the tiny subset of bounced/failure messages,
that is way too specialized a use case to be useful overall (especially
since 99% of users don't care about these messages anyway).

This is just *one* example. I also get other mail, e.g. Icinga monitoring mails etc. for which my argumentation applies as well.

I'm not requesting magic, it's just a feature that almost any mail client has as option which can be enabled in the settings, whether it is enabled on default or not doesn't matter.

It's quite a bit of extra work, and influences things like escaping.
Which means it is something that requires maintenance.  I'm just not

I don't see the problem about escaping here. If I click on 'Michael M Slusarz' on your mail, the sender view expands and shows 'Michael M Slusarz <slus...@horde.org>'. Why is there no escaping issue then? I just would like to have an option that I don't have to click anymore to see it right away.

I have no issue supporting verification with DKIM.  It hasn't been

Sounds good. I eventually can do this, but it couldn't harm to have it on the feature request/todo list anyway. :-)

Season's Greetings

Daniel