Dear Sanel,

thank you for your reply.

Am 02.11.2020 23:32 schrieb Sanel Zukan:
Have you tried running it without evil-mode ("emacs -Q")

Did you mean "-q"? I tried both but nothing changed in the behavior.

To keep sure I deinstalled emacs. It means I purged (and autoremove) every installed package with "emacs" in its name and verified this of course. I also did "rm -rf" on "/.emacs.d" - "~/.emacs" did not exist.
OK, emacs is gone now from the system.

Installed it again with "apt install emacs" - without elpy and evil.

Starting with "emacs foo" (mode: Fundamental) -> TAB does work.
Starting with "emacs foo.py" (mode: Python ElDoc) -> TAB does not work.

OK, installed evil only via "apt install elpa-evil". Actiavted evil in the "~/.emacs.d/init.el" with this two lines:
    (require 'evil)
    (evil-mode 1)

Starting with "emacs foo" (mode: Fundamental Undo-Tree) -> TAB does work in evil-mode ("<Z>") and standard-emacs-mode ("<E>"). Starting with "emacs foo.py" (mode: Python Undo-Tree ElDoc) -> TAB does not work in Z- or E-mode.

I will stop here and do not install elpa-elpy also. Because it would make the situation to complexe. First I would like to find out (and how to find out) why TAB does not work in standard emacs-python-mode?