On 10/22/14 10:03 AM, Eric Ladner wrote:

I agree with Jason's comments on the ID, though. Post-import, it's pretty useless. I think the idea is that it would be useful several years down the road when a new data dump is taking from an upstream source to match changed buildings, but there's no guarantee that the ID's from the external source would even be consistent (i.e. the building on the corner of Dauphine and Contie with ID=1234 may not have the same ID 2 years from now after the upstream system goes through upgrades, software changes, etc.)
+1. as serge is fond of pointing out, many imports have gone to the trouble of preserving ids with the idea that they'll help with conflation of updated data sets years down the line. there are no known examples of this actually happening.

richard

--
rwe...@averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux