2009/10/8 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com>:
> Step 1: Data conversion
> -using eithor 'shp-to-osm.jar' or 'shp2osm.py' or 'mp2osm' or 'other'
> we make a conversion script
> -1 person is in charge of editing this script (as users will submit
> errors) (just as for other programs)
>
> Step 2: data sharing
> -the person that is running the conversion script would make these
> .osm files available to the community so people can see it.
> -available on a server somewhere like mediafire.com
>
> 3 -data import
> eithor a.1 use josm and copy the features over

Note that just a copy & paste will discard the relations so I don't
think this should be recommended, (relations tend to take lots of work
to add manually if you have imported all the members but not the
relations).

The "Merge layers" option in JOSM is also not really usable because it
can take really long (several days) for two layers with 100k nodes.  I
use a little bash script for quick merging .osm files generated by
JOSM, it's at http://www.openstreetmap.pl/balrog/bulkupload/osm-merge

My usual process is the following:

1. Convert the data to .osm
2. load into JOSM
3. zoom in, because JOSM can't handle displaying lots of data at the
same time, but it can easily hold lots of data in memory.
4. correct all the tags
5. download the area from OSM on a separate layer,
6. go through all the data and spot duplicate ways, objects, whatever
(this takes a long time to do).
7. each time you delete a way from one layer, mark all the crossings &
connecting nodes with "mergeme=yes" tag.
8. save both .osm files, merge using the bash script, load into JOSM
again, zoom in.
9. search for "mergeme=yes" (ctrl+f in JOSM) and for each search
result: merge the crossings / endings of roads so they are continuous,
then remove the tag, then repeat.
10. save to file, split into small changes and upload using your
favourite upload script.

Cheers