2009/11/20 Andy Allan <gravityst...@gmail.com>:
> I want to take what Sam has said out of context here, so this isn't a
> question of Geobase/Canvec, let's consider the wider issue of
> attribution on imported data. Should the attribution be on the
> geo-features (nodes,ways,relations), or on the changeset, on the wiki,
> all three, or a combination?
>
> My take on it is that is should not be on the geo-features, but it
> should be on the changeset (and the wiki if you like).

I agree in principle, but for one thing the data donors are much
happier to relicense their data for OSMs use if I can show them that
the attribution can be seen from the main www page and it only takes
enabling the data layer and clicking the object.  When our data is
used elsewhere, there's always a link to OpenStreetMap and you can
trace back the attribution.

I agree that all the users who edited the object should share the
copyright but again showing only the original attribution or none
makes providers feel better (none if the object has been heavily
modified and someone decided to remove the attribution then).

Cheers