On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Michael Leibowitz
<michael.leibow...@intel.com> wrote:

> I would posit that in the US, imports have been important.  However, they
> have had problems as you pointed out previously.  Couldn't it be the case
> that imports can be better prosecuted with better tools such that their
> utility goes up and their source of problems goes down?  I think that's
> really what I'd like to see.

You and Josh can certainly argue that in a world where there were
ultimately amazing tools to keep data in sync this way, we could use
external data sources without problem.

Rather than even go into the merits of this as an argument, I'll say
"Okay, show me such a tool."

I've been working on tools to make it easier for the OSM community to
work with external datasets more easily because I think that in the
US, where we don't have a strong community, such tools are necessary,
but the flip side is that the US seems to be very tool centric in the
sense that we believe that if we just had the right tool, all would be
good.

We can't begin to discuss that intelligently unless a tool existed.
Since none does right now, I'd rather see us spend the limited
resources we have on things which are accomplishable right now.

Josh: Until a tool exists to do this synchronization, it's not a
"merge"- it's an import.

- Serge