Randal Hale <rjh...@northrivergeographic.com> wrote:
I ask because I will (hopefully) be faced with a comparable problem in 2014

I'm also involved in a similar address import which is still in an early phase. And I see more similar projects upcoming (e.g. Italian housenumbers by ISTAT: [1]).

I think that now would be a good time to discuss some good practices for address imports in general, wouldn't?

Here are some concrete questions we are currently facing:

* If you had an address dataset that positions the addresses at or near to the respective building entrances: Wouldn't it make sense to not conflate the address data with building outlines? (Because by conflating the usefulness of the data would actually be reduced.) * What are the pro/cons of a manual community import versus an automated import versus some hybrid form?
* What are good tools to help with such an import?
* What are good ways to manage quality assurance after the import?
* Is there a practicable way to keep the imported data in sync with the source data?
* Can one produce a feedback loop for data providers?

It would also be good to hear from people who have already done such imports to learn from their experiences.

Eventually we could summarize this into a "best practice" wiki page for address imports.

Best wishes,
Martin

[1] https://twitter.com/istat_it/status/372282743918305280