It looks like a lot of things are mixed.

If an import results has the same data structure and quality as any manual
contribution, what's the problem ?

If it's not, it looks like a bad import to me and I agree that its value
may be considered as negative (more work to fix it).

The main problem I see with the first newbie experience is more the
quantity of data, and the increasing complexity that comes with it.
(Good) imports are just accelerating this, but are not causing it by
themself.
Blaming imports in general is a short view thinking.

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France
Conférence "State Of The Map" France du 4 au 6 avril à