On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 4:44 PM, Jo <winfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I also think it's more gratifying to start from scratch. I live in Belgium
> though and we only have some CLC landuses on the border with France.
> I think a "white map" will also trigger more people into working on landuse,
> but it will of course take a while, maybe even 2-3 years. That shouldn't be
> a reason. In this case we can do a far better job tracing from imagery.

It depends on the individual. Some people prefers to start from
scrach, But we also received feedbacks from people editing landuse
because they think they can improve it and they also see how it's
currently done. Remember that OSM is working by iteration.

The main disadvantage of CLC was the big multipolygons which are not
easy to handle. But this is true for all big features in OSM, also the
ones created by hand like this
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2698607

Pieren