On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Alex Barth <a...@mapbox.com> wrote:
>  The issue of responsiveness is straightforward. When a community
> member finds a problem with how something is mapped and we go through
> the speicifc steps outlined in the import process, and the individual
> community members creating the problem are notified, I think there's a
> reasonable expectation that they'll stop. Maybe they'd respond to OSM
> messages, or respond to notes that they created, or respond to github.
> My experience is consistently that with your mapper staff that they
> simply don't respond to any of these. The only thing they've responded
> to is DWG intervention (ie blocks).

As stated earlier. Working on getting better responsiveness in place. I
think we've made good first steps. Let me know any time you run into
specific issues.

> That's a really huge hammer to have to bring down, but the alternative
> is that there's bad data in OSM.
>
> The second issue is cleanup, which ties very much into the first one.
> There would be no big problem with waiting days and needing to contact
> three or four people before getting a response, if the data didn't
> stay bad. But instead, we see data that was put in badly and has
> stayed bad. It's really a mess, which could have been fixed if the
> attitude had just been to go a bit slower and when someone brings up
> an issue, to take it seriously and not ignore it until days later
> (importing with the problem in the meantime).

The data we're importing in NYC is very very good. Sure, it's not 100 %
without problems, no data is, but it is absolutely _not_ "a mess". We have
stopped and reviewed and fixed the import and imported data time and again
- often on your request. We just 100 % don't agree on the overall
assessment here and I'm not sure how you can get to the perspective you're
sharing above. If there are specific problems, please flag them on the
tracker github.com/osmlab/nycbuildings and we'll review.

> Consider this... I still haven't seen an affirmative statement that
> you're going to use paid mappers, yet the subtext is that this is what
> will happen. If you're going to use paid remote mappers, just say so.
> Just say "This is our plan."

The DC import plan is not saying anything about the Mapbox team mapping on
it because that's right now not the plan. I'd love to see the DC government
lift this themselves - this would be an amazing story. I'd be happy to help
though if needed.

In regards to NYC, I've said very clearly at the first community import
session in NYC that our team will be mapping too. You've confirmed hearing
this to me earlier I hope you still remember but you also said that it
wasn't clear to you to what extent we'd engage. It's my regret that I
didn't spell out clearer what this meant to me.

Look, I want to build over time an excellent data team helping to make
OpenStreetMap the best map in the world. I want them to be hands on with
improving data in OpenStreetMap in the most responsible way possible. For
initiating an import like the one in NYC I would love also the next time
not only to work with community closely to make sure it's done right and
responsibly, but also have community directly help hands on do the import.
At the same time, I also need to be able to say it's done in a certain time
(NYC stands to take about 9 months total, that's longer than I thought, but
fine) and I need to be able to guarantee that it's being finished at some
point. I don't ever want to be associated with a half-imported dataset. So
if Mapbox takes the initiative on an import, we will always have to be
ready to see it through ourselves rather than let it peter out. Again,
talking about the grunt work here. I am open for feedback from A-Z
throughout the process and I've also learned that engaging community means
doing things at a certain pace - for instance you remember that the initial
time schedule for the NYC import was way too ambitious.

Again, to be very clear, the DC proposal comes from the DC government and
I'm right now not thinking that this is an import where Mapbox needs to
take the ultimate responsibility to see it through, and again, I'm more
than happy to see whether we can help David Jackson and team if needed.

Alex